Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day 11


THOUGHTS- VEGANISM
So far I have just been touching on individual foods that I have been eating and their benefits but now I'd like to say a little something about the foods I have given up.
I am a Vegan. In some peoples eyes this means that I am weird, hippy, backwards and not respecting the food chain. Whatever others think doesn't matter. But the word respect seems to come up in one persons argument a little. That I don't respect the food chain. What is this? The food chain is an idea that some people came up with and put on paper. How about respecting our planet and the animals that share it with us. My original switch to veganism was purely for the rights of the animals. I am an animal lover and it was when I made the connection that the animals I loved were the very same animals I was eating that made me cease the consumption of animal products. But as time goes on and now I work in a Vegan retail shop and spend more time with vegans I learn more and more reasons why being a vegan is a positive thing.
- There is less impact on the environment.
- There are plenty of health benifits
- Vegans are less likely to be obese
- Animal rights
I will touch more on each of these topics in future blogs.
So what is a vegan? You might still be wondering. A vegan is someone who does not consume any animal products. This includes- meat, fish, eggs, dairy products and honey. They also do not wear leather, fur or wool. There are many different levels to veganism. Some will not consume products that may contain traces of these products but that comes down to personal choice. But the basics of Veganism will always be the same.
CHALLENGES- Heading to the end of the week and running low on good foods. And there are tempting non earthy foods in the cupboard screaming out my name.
TRIUMPHS- Resisting the temptation and planning out the next few days worth of meals with what I have left.
WHAT I ATE-
BREAKFAST- Mae's Magic Medicine- Beetroot, celery, lettuce, ginger, cucumber juice.
Veggie Fritter- Red onion, red capsicum, mushroom, shallot, carrot, snow peas, garlic, chickpeas, buckwheat flour, soy milk and olive oil.
Dice all vegetables finely, mash chickpeas mix together add flour and soy milk until all ingredients blended together. Cook in a little bit of olive oil.
LUNCH- Chickpea curry- Chickpeas, capsicum, onion, carrot, pumpkin, minced ginger, garlic clove, corriander powder, cumin powder, cardamon powder, chilli powder, soy milk. Cook together in a frypan.
With Brown rice.
SNACK- Handful pistachios, Handful of grapes, fresh squeezed watermelon and lime juice.
DINNER- Veggie stir fry with Quinoa- Capsicum, Mushroom, shallot, Onion, Garlic, ginger, snowpeas. Tamari, sesame seeds, canola oil.
Chop all veggies into stir fry strips. Brown garlic and ginger with onion and capsicum and a little oil. Then add other veggies and sauce and lightly fry to you liking. Serve on bed of Quinoa.
EXCERCISE- Walking too and from the train station.

No comments:

Post a Comment