Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day 5




THOUGHTS- Today I started adding the new things to my diet that Mae had recommended. One of those being Mae's Magic Medicine which is what I shall call it. I already feel better after my visit to Mae two days ago and after actaully being able to shop it was good to create some amazing foods. So I was up early to make a wonderful lunch to take to work and what did I do? Yeah that's right I left it on the bench. So I got to work with the temptation of so many wonderful foods but I managed to make myself something yummy and healthy. I have discovered that I am totally in love with chickpeas which made me decide that's what today's blog shall be about. The chickpea is cheap and versatile and it's nutty buttery flavour makes it great to incorperate into any dish. It is reckoned to be one of the oldest cultivated crops and is grown mainly in India, Pakistan and Turkey plus many other countries. Chickpeas have a low Glycemic index. Which is great for anyone trying to lose weight. Because they keep you fuller longer. Even if you're not trying to lose weight I just think they taste great. One of my favourite recipes is a chickpea salad that I will have to have at a later date so you can see for yourself how delicious it is and make it yourself.
Eaten regularly they can also help to reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, heart disease and certain cancers. They also contain fructo-oligosaccharides, a type of prebiotic carbohydrate fibre, which supports healthy gut flora. Maintaining a healthy balance of friendly bacteria in the colon is necessary to optimize digestive function and strengthen immunity.An excellent low-fat source of protein, chickpeas are rich in the essential amino acid lysine (which is vital for many body functions including growth, tissue repair, maintenance of muscle mass and the production of hormones, enzymes and antibodies), but lacking in others such as methionine and tryptophan.
In brief, chickpeas are an excellent low-fat source of protein and complex carbohydrate. 100g provides 115kcal, 7.2g protein, 2.9g fat (0.3g of which are saturates) and 16.1g carbohydrate (0.4g of which are sugars).
Healty and tasty what more could you ask for.
CHALLENGES- Today I leaft my lunch at home that I had already prepared and it was hard not to be tempted by the delicious foods at work.
TRIUMPHS- I made Quinoa and Chickpeas for lunch.
WHAT I ATE TODAY-
BREAKFAST-1 Mushroom, Chunk of tofu and Spinach. Cooked up in olive oil.
Mae's Magic Medicine- 1/2 Beetroot, 1/4 large carrot, 1/4 celery stick, handful of spinach, 1/4 lemon, fresh ginger. All squeezed through juicer.
SNACK- Macadamia nuts
LUNCH- Tinned chickpeas and Quinoa
SNACK- Finish tin of chickpeas
DINNER- Roast Veg. 1/4 Potato, 1/4 beetroot, half carrot, 1 small parsnip, few cubes pumpkin, 1 garlic clove. Cooked in olive oil.


Fresh Pineapple juice
DESSERT- Buckwheat man- Leftover pineapple pulp, Buckwheat flour, Soymilk, rice malt syrup. Mix together till doughy but still a bit runny. Place gingerbread man cutter on flat tray and pour in mix. Oven bake at 240 degrees for 15 mins or until cooked all the way through.


No comments:

Post a Comment