Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day 12


THOUGHTS-
I have a few thoughts to share today. I have been very set in my ways for a long time and if I find a food I like that's all I'll eat. I don't generally try new things but starting the earth diet means that I need to find new flavours and make myself try things that I never used to like in different ways. So I am starting a "Bean of the Week" theme. Since starting at my new job I have discovered that there are so many varieties of beans that I have never tried before so this week it is the "Adzuki bean."The following is a bit about it's health benefitsAdzuki beans are a good source of magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc copper, manganese and B vitamins. As a high-potassium, low-sodium food they can help reduce blood pressure and act as a natural diuretic. When combined with grains, beans supply high quality protein, which provides a healthy alternative to meat or other animal protein. Like most beans, adzuki beans are rich in soluble fibre. This type of fibre provides bulk to the stool and binds to toxins and cholesterol aiding in their elimination from the body. In Japan adzuki beans are known for their healing properties and are used to support kidney and bladder function. Gillian McKeith is a huge fan of the adzuki bean and refers to it as the 'weight loss' bean as it low in calories and fat but high in nutrientshttp://www.knowingfood.com/nutri/adkinfo.htmlMy second thought is that the home grown lettuce and basil I had today were amazing. The lettuce my dad grew but the basil it could have been the worst couple of basil leaves in the world but just knowing that I planted a seed a few weeks ago and now I have this food that I can eat feels great. It's also cutting out the middle men that are part of food production. The farmer, his machines, the transport to the shop and then the transport home. Plus it really does taste good. Better for me and better for the environment. If I wasn't renting I would have the biggest veggie garden.My third thought is in two parts. Today I had pasta and tinned tomatoes. These are not earth diet foods I know. But with pay day a few days away the cupboard was pretty bare. So Firstly pasta-Eating a lot of white pasta will also raise your blood’s levels of the bad LDL cholesterol. This in turn can lead to heart disease, narrowing of, or blockages in the arteries, which can lead to thrombosis (blood clots) and high blood pressure. High blood pressure is a known cause of strokes as well as a plethora of other health problems that need a medical encyclopaedia to do justice to!Thrombosis can lead to heart attacks if blood clots are allowed to form in the arteries and veins that subsequently become mobile in the bloodstream and find their way into the heart muscles.As you can see, there are plenty of very good reasons for excluding this type of pasta from your diet, or at least cutting it down to an infrequent treat. But it’s not all bad news, as there are alternatives to this staple foodstuff of many households.http://hubpages.com/hub/why-white-pasta-is-bad-for-youCanned foods- There is not alot of articles that say that canned food is bad for you. Most simply stated that canned veggies are better than candy. But we all know that fresh is best. Plus if you can avoid all the unessesary packaging and labour and machinary that goes into making one tin of food the planet will love you for it.So I am still making the transition and do have a few things left in the cupboard so until I can afford replacements for all of them there may be an item or two not fitting the Earth Diet requirement but by the end of next week it will be all in. :)CHALLENGES- Really hungry in the evening today. Couldn't help eating more than I had planned.TRIUMPHS- Stayed away from the majority of the bad stuff.WHAT I ATE-BREAKFAST- Mae's Medicine- Carrot, celery, beetroot, lettuce, ginger, cucumber.Tropical smoothie- Banana, soy milk, dessicated coconut and flaxseed meal. Place all ingredients in blender.LUNCH- Salad with slightly asian twist- Daddy's home grown lettuce. Cucumber, shallot, onion capsicum, avocado, sesame seeds, adzuki beans.Dressing- Flaxseed oil, garlic, soy sauce.SNACKS- Apple, mixed nuts and fresh watermelon and grape juice.DINNER- Pasta- Adzuki beans, tinned whole tomatoes, 2 garlic cloves, some onion, capsicum, shallot, my home grown basil. Canola oil.3 small buckwheat piklets- buckwheat flour, soy milk, cinnamon, cooked in canola oil. Topped with rice malt syrup.Glass rice milkQuinoa and chickpeas.

No comments:

Post a Comment