Saturday, April 3, 2010

Day 16


THOUGHTS-


Finally started doing some excercise today. I usally always eat well but I have never been a big fan of too much physical activity it's always been one of those one day I'll do it things. My friends have started a netball team and I thought that would be a great idea I'd get to hang out with my friends and get fit. I had so much fun. I was terrible at the game but that didn't matter too much. I'm sure I'll get better. But I was puffing and panting and sweating by the end of the game so I know I worked hard and I feel so much better for it so I'm going to do as much physical excercise as I can.


Also today I found a produce place just around the corner from work they are open early so I can do a shop on my way to work. All the food didn't look as flash as it normally does in some of the big chain shops but I looked at it and thought this is great that the food doesn't look as good. It means they are more natural see the trouble is so much food is Genetically Modified now. There are hormones and genes in nearly everything that we eat. How do you think they have such a large stockpile of it. And why do you think the apples shine? Wax.

These are some of the risks associated with genetically modified foods

-Toxicity (using similar methods to those used for conventional foods)
-Tendency to provoke any allergic reaction
-Stability of the inserted gene and affect from expression in the human gut
-Whether there is any nutritional deficit or change in the GM food
-Any other unintended effects of the gene insertion such as anti-nutritional effects


How to avoid genetically modified foods.

The main culprits are the following. Unless they are stated to be organic

Soybeans, corn, canola, cotton, potatoes, dairy products, animal products and papaya.


It's also concerning esspecially being a vegan that there are plants that are modified with fish genes.


As one comentator put it- There are now fish genes in fruit, poultry genes in fish, animal genes in plants, growth hormones in milk, insect genes in vegetables, tree genes in grain, and in the case of pork, human genes in meat


This is very concerning. I feel almost violated as a vegan. There are no laws or guidelines on what needs to be labelled or how much you need to be informed about what you are eating. So how do you know whats even in what you're eating and where it has come from?


I beleive you need to do what you can do and not be naive about things and don't think that having the ability to deny something is really an answer. If there is something you beleive in you need to educate yourself as much as you can so that you can be the most educated in whatever it is you're trying to do.


CHALLENGES- Going straight from work to netball. Trying to find food to tie me over through the game.


TRIUMPHS- Had a nut bar. Finally doing some excercise. Did a full shop at a produce place so plenty of yummy fruit and veggies for me.


WHAT I ATE-

BREAKFAST- Corn fritters, and slice of tofu cooked in organic olive oil.


LUNCH- Chickpea and pumpkin curry. (Recipe day 16)


SNACKS- Mixed nuts

Glass Rice milk

Tropical trio bar

1/4 avocado


DINNER- Vege stir fry- 2 cloves garlic, ginger, onion, capsicum, shallot, tofu, mushroom, snow peas, carrot, organic tamari, organic olive oil, sesame seeds.

1. Chop all veggies.

2. Heat oil in pan.

3. Brown ginger garlic and onion.

4. Add other veggies to your likening of how you prefer them cooked.

5. Add tamari.

6. Put in bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds.


EXCERCISE- Game of Netball

No comments:

Post a Comment