Thursday, April 15, 2010

Day 27


THOUGHTS- LABELS


"I know you are you said you are so what am I?"


So today I went to Supanova for the first time. Partly to see what it was about and partly to see the hot guys of Torchwood, Stargate and Twilight. I wasn't sure that I would fit in with these "nerds." However as the day progressed and I ran into more and more people that I knew I realised that it wasn't so much a nerd convention but it was a place where authors, actors, artists, nerds, collectors, fans of individual shows and people from many other walks of life and many other reasons. So why do we feel the need to label everyone? Honestly I cannot answer that. Throughout the day I realised that I really didn't fit into any of the groups entirely. There was a part of me that went with each of the groups but I am neaither one nor the other. So I think next time you feel the need to put a label on someone else it's really just because we are so consumed by power and heirachy that we need to put people into a group that we beleive is below our own "group." So fellow Supanova attendees I had fun. I don't think you are "nerds" and I retract that title from you. You are all people like myself and we are all equal.


What makes someone better than someone else? Nothing. Yet there is still racism, sexism, ageism, culturalism and homophobia and even speciesism.


What is speciesism?

Wikipedia- Speciesism is the assigning of different values or rights to beings on the basis of their species membership. The term was created by British psychologist Richard D. Ryder


It's the beleif that humans are of a higher importance than non humans. Animals were not put on this planet for us to use exploit, eat, own and use for entertainment. I know at present this notion is hard for many people to grasp. When we live in a world that some cultures women, jews, blacks, homosexuals and people from all other walks of life are still not veiwed as equals I know that animal liberationists have their work cut out for them. But does that mean that the journey will be hopeless? No every year there are more organisations appearing and more rights for animals.


Martin Luther King had a dream. In his time that dream seemed almost imaginary. Unreachable. But now they United States have an african american president. From a race that was once considered to only be fit as slaves to President of the United States. There has been leaps and bounds in the rights for all races. Though the journey has been hard the results have been rewarding.


So I have a dream that one day... Humans will stop looking for races, genders and species to enslave, torture and use for entertainment and that we will all live in a world that every being is considered equal. Stop seeing everything with a label and see each creature for the individual being that they are and you will find that each being has a story, a personality, a family, friends and something that makes them unique.




For more information on animal liberation


CHALLENGES-Being at a festival with so many delicious stands of deep fried food.


TRIUMPHS- Not even being tempted by the food.


WHAT I ATE-


BREAKFAST- 1/2 Lady finger banana

Othe half in smoothie with mixed berries (Blackberries, blueberries, red currants and raspberries.) Home made soy milk.

2 Rice and Lentil patties with raw cashew cheese. (Recipe in yesterdays blog)


LUNCH- 1 1/2 half fruit muffins (Recipe in yesterdays blog) 7 olives


SNACK- Edamame and Goji blend.

1 peice of raw organic chocolate.


DINNER- Roast veggies- Carrot, Potato, Pumpkin, Sweet potato orange and white.


SNACK- 1 slice essene bread with raw cashew cheese.

small serve of chickpea curry. (Recipe in tomorrows blog.)


EXCERCISE- 20 minute walk with Dog. Walking around Supanova all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment